Friday, June 7, 2013

Roasted Vegetable Medley, Twice! + Propane Supply Pressure

Lifestyle Changes

 

I have never been a big fan of eating vegetables.  Some necessary diet changes have made it necessary to rethink this lifelong aversion.  Sooooooooooo, I have been experimenting with roasting vegetables among other ways to make this change in diet more enjoyable.  What follows is the results of my current experimentation.

 Roger’s Roasted Vegetable Medley

Preheat oven to 400F. 

Ingredients:

12oz package Broccoli Florets or Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets, in bite size pieces

12oz package diced Butternut Squash

1 cup Baby Carrots

Small Onion cut in bite size pieces

Red or Yellow sweet pepper cut in bite size pieces

¼ cup olive oil

1 Tbs Chili Seasoning

1 Tbs Garlic powder

1 Tbs Steak or Prime Rib seasoning

Put olive oil and carrots in 12 X 8 disposable roasting pan and roast for 20 min. (head start)

Remove from oven and toss in the rest of the seasonings and vegetables to roast for additional 40 minutes.  At the halfway point, remove from oven, toss to blend and continue roasting for the remaining 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.  Serve.

No dishes to wash!

Some possible extra vegetables that I will try in the future are, asparagus, sugar snap peas, sweet potato, and garlic cloves.  The variations of vegetables and spices are pretty much dictated by your personal tastes.  I would consider that carrots, sweet potato, garlic cloves, and the like take longer to roast and should be given a head start of about 20 minutes as indicated above.

This makes at least six servings.  I have to tell you that it turned out so well, I ate half of it in one sitting. Yum!




Roasted!

 

PS:

 

After composing the above, I got to thinking about adding the sweet potato and asparagus, soooooooo, I made another one with the same ingredients and adding these two items.   Came out pretty large (about three pounds!) so I felt it needed a little more olive oil and a little longer to bake.  I put the carrots and sweet potato in with the olive oil and roasted for 20 minutes.  When this head start was finished, I added all of the rest of the ingredients and tossed to coat with the olive oil and spices.  Returned to the oven, roasted for 20 minutes and removed to toss again.  Roasted the last 20 minutes and then I added another 10 minutes because of the size.  This came out GREAT.  All of the vegetables were done just right.  A great way to eat your vegetables.  Later that same day:  I think I would put the asparagus in for the last 20 minutes and not the whole 40 minutes.  It got a little overdone/limp.
 
 
Broccoli, carrots. sweet potato, onion, asparagus, sweet pepper, spices, olive oil
 
 
 PPS:

I tried this on the Traeger.  Came out great.  Cooked a little faster so I would reduce cooking time by maybe 10 minutes.  It is summer weather here in Sacramento, so I appreciated an oven dish without heating up the oven/rig.  BTW, I have tried this with the Peanut Vinaigrette, Great!!
 
 
 

Refrigerator Problems

I full time and most of my base time is in a park with full hook-ups.  Refrigerator runs on AC.  When we went horse camping, it was the first time the refrigerator was on gas for several months.  By the time we got to Napa, (3 hours)  internal fridge temp was about 45F on gas.  On electricity and usually on gas it stays in the mid 30's.  (BTW, this fridge is less than 1 year old)  It was lit as I could see the flame but the coils on the back were barely warm and only the bottom two coils or so.  Temp stayed around 50 during the day and down to 45 at night.  Something was up.  Trip to Camping World on return home, showed no fridge problem but propane pressure was down to 7" of water.  (standard measuring method for gasses)  Regulated pressure should be 11" of water.  This low line pressure caused by a faulty regulator not only affects the fridge, but any other propane appliance, water heater, furnace and stove.  New regulator was installed and fridge is happily percolating with box temp in the upper 30's.  I have a wireless thermometer  installed in the fridge box with a remote readout that I can use, velcroed above the stove or on the dash when I am driving.  Good idea to have gas appliances and gas supply checked  at least every other year.  More often if you use the system a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment