Thursday, July 11, 2013

Escape From The Heat + John's Ribs + Farm Boy Green Beans

Sacramento, CA  temps have been running in the 100s.  Only been cooling down in to the 70s at night.  Thought I would escape for a few days and camp out at one of my favorite coastal campgrounds, Dillon's Beach, (also known as Lawson's Landing)  It's West of Petaluma. CA.  Just a huge cow pasture with a beach.  Used to be dispersed camping so you could "circle the wagons" with a bunch of your friends for monster campout.  It's now restricted to assigned campsites and much reduced camping areas due to Calif. Coastal Commission decree. Leaving Sacramento. temp was in low 100s.  When I got to Dillon's around 4 PM it was overcast and in the low 60's  A huge change.  I put on long pants and a sweatshirt for my walk. 

Since my fridge problem and the propane regulator replacement, I have not had a chance to check out the results.  So far, so good.  Driving over here, fridge on gas, in the three hours on the road, fridge temp stayed in a .5F window.  This morning box temp is 37, just like it stays most of the time on electricity.  Propane pressure is critical to fridge performance. 

Since I can usually get at least 12 amps from my solar, even with the marine layer, I am going to experiment with my crockpot today to see if I can use it and still get battery charging on the solar.  Crockpot draws about 3.5 amps so there should be enough power left over to get the batteries back up to 100% for this evening so I can watch some TV as well.  BTW, a few years ago, Dillon's finally got a cell tower so I have 5 bars and great internet.

This is a another farm boy favorite!

12-16 oz green beansCrock Pot Green Beans With Bacon
1 small onion
2 slices bacon or a couple of hot dogs
1 can chicken broth

Put these in the Crock Pot all together and cook on low for about 6 hours.  Great side dish.

I will report back later on the results.



John's Ribs

1-2 racks of baby back ribs rubbed with Louisiana Style Cajun Seasoning

Marinade:

1/3 cup Jalapeno Jelly
1/3 cup Yoshida Sauce
1/3 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Sauce

Cook the ribs in sealed foil for 6 hours @ 200F.  When done, drain the juice and remove the foil.  Coat the ribs with the marinade and put on the grill @ 350-400F for 15-30 minutes to glaze.

I don't dare try these and have a couple of racks of ribs around with just me or there will be diet disaster!  Maybe at Abiquiu, NM.




No comments:

Post a Comment