Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Traeger Wood Pellet Barbecue As Pizza Oven And Another Floor Tile

During a discussion with my Son-in-Law about built in barbecues and outdoor pizza ovens, we decided to try baking a take-and-bake pizza on his propane grill.  I had tried this before on my Traeger, and it worked OK, but the crust got a little too brown on the bottom.  We turned off the center two burners on his gas grill and put the Pappa Murphey's on, using the supplied pan, (some kind of heat resistant cardboard?)  It came out perfect.  Just light brown on the bottom.  It got me to thinking about the ceramic floor tile that I use in my Lazy Daze oven to reduce the hot spot there. Check out my previous post on 3/9/13, "Use Your oven".   Home Depot has ceramic floor tiles up to 20" X 20", so I bought one.  Grill on Traeger measures 15" X 20".  My brother has a tile saw, so we cut this one to 14" X 20" to leave some circulation space around the edges..  I have had some feedback on the floor tile breaking after heating in the Lazy Daze oven.  I suspected that maybe, too much heat, too fast as I have never had one break.  I always heat up in the oven from the start giving the tile time to heat up gradually.  I put the modified tile on the Traeger and started it on smoke and let it heat up for a bit.  I then gradually heated it up to 475F on the thermometer.  No Problem.  Since I have been on a program to shed a few pounds, my intake of pizza has been pretty much stopped.  I had promised myself a reward of a slice of Costco, Deep Dish Pizza, (8 oz = 600 calories) when I reached my short term goal of 195lb. The Deep Dish  is a little different in that it is thicker and it comes in an aluminum pie pan.  Baked it at the instructed 400F for 40 minutes and it came out just right.  At a later date, I will try a conventional Pappa Murphey pizza and report.

Here is the link to Traeger Grills

By the way, these tiles are less than $2.  Pizza Stones are WAY more than that.



Ceramic Floor Tile On Traeger Barbecue As Pizza Stone

I wouldn't try this tile with a propane or charcoal grill as they are pretty much direct heat and my get too hot and break the tile. 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Roger,

    I have a 12"x12" unglazed tile from Home Depot or Lowes. I don't remember. It cost me about $1.07. I did have it crack in my RV oven but it stays in the oven and heats up gradually with the oven itself. I think the oven runs hot and that's probably what broke it. Anyway it's cheap to replace if I want to.

    Andrea

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea

      Get an oven thermometer. They are usually under $10 and then you can know what temp your oven is really at.

      Delete
  2. Really Nice Bolg! Wood chip and Pellets solution in uk Wood Pellet Supply

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to be careful in your selection of wood pellets for cooking. Most of the pellets that are sold for heating have glues and resins that will affect the food. Check out the Traeger website on the selection of wood pellets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for nice and useful post I am very impressed this blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very neat idea. I'm actually thinking of wallpaper for one of the rooms in the house we're moving to next week. :)
    pellet haard Limburg

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response.
    travertine floor tile

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips? china snow melting mat

    ReplyDelete
  9. can anyone recommend me the best product from the list mentioned in this site.Costco Traeger Grills

    ReplyDelete