Sunday, May 5, 2013

Easy and Cheap Swiss Steak for Six. No Dishwashing




I was in WalMart shopping for salad stuff when I noticed this package of Eye of Round Steak, 1.9 lb for $6.93 marked down from $9.85.  I love Swiss Steak, and I couldn’t pass up this bargain.  There were 7 pieces in the package and 6 pieces filled the pan.  I just bagged up the extra and froze it for later.

Rogers Swiss Steak


2 lb (approximately) Eye of Round, or some other round type steak.  Cube Steak works too.
4 medium potatoes

1 medium onion
1 can mushroom soup

1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1-2 cups sliced carrots or baby carrots                           

1 cup sliced mushrooms

Slice up the onion and make a bed on the bottom of a 9 x 13 oven pan.  Place the round steak evenly on top of the onions.  Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the top of the meat.  Quarter the potatoes (peeled or unpeeled) and place them evenly with the carrots and mushrooms over the top.  Spoon the mushroom soup evenly over the whole thing.  I usually swirl a half of can of water in the soup can to get everything out and pour that in too. Cover with foil and bake for 4 hours at 300F.   Less tender cuts of meat such as round steak will be a lot more tender with a longer cooking time at a lower temperature, hence the 4 hours at 300F.
 

Sliced Onions

 

Round Steak Added

 

 

Assembled and Ready to Cover and Bake

 


Out of the Oven and Fork Tender

 


One 4 oz piece of this meat is listed as 180 calories and 9g of fat.  Add in the calorie count for the rest of the ingredients.

 You can also substitute a pot roast for the round steak.

Now you can crock pot this if you have a large enough crock pot, but then there is the clean up.  You can pressure cook it,  but there is a pressure cooker to wash.   Should serve 6 from the pan and nothing to wash except a couple of knives that I used for vegetables.  I just rinse them off.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. That looks good - nice and easy, but if you get those bags to line your crock pot, it would work, too, with no cleanup. I've never used them, but might add them to my shopping list now that I'm thinking about it. I'd probably use my crock pot more if I didn't have to use water to clean it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since this is mostly about boondocking, the oven method leaves nothing to clean and no electricity. When I am on shore power, I use my crock pot a lot.

      Delete
    2. Welllllllllll, now you have me thinking. I will try the slow cooker liners.

      Delete