Tuesday, September 24, 2013

How Do You Milk An Almond?? + Pudding!

Milk From A Nut?





I am probably the last person to try Almond Milk.  Elizabeth was out of regular milk at her apartment but did have some almond milk.  I was not enthusiastic but I had to have something for my cereal.  Not bad!  In fact....I liked it.  It's lower in calories as well.  This stuff is great as you can buy it in "brick pack", (unrefrigerated until opened) AND it keeps for around a year (unopened) at room temp.  Perfect for RV use when you can't get to the store.  You can bet I will have a couple of quarts in the pantry from now on. I have tried rice milk for Bisquick pancakes as my mother was lactose intolerant and I tried it as an experiment.  Great pancakes and they were the first pancakes she was able to eat in years.  (BTW, as far as I know, there is no milk or dairy in regular Bisquick)

Pudding!


One of the things that I use milk for, is making Jello, Sugar Free, Fat Free, Cook and Serve Pudding.  This is great stuff but it is getting harder and harder to find.  Everyone buys instant. In my opinion, the instant is no where as good as the cooked kind.  The cooked has great flavor, great texture and is easy to fix in the microwave or on the stove top. You will not miss the fat and sugar.  I microwave it in Ziploc four quart containers when I have electricity.  With the two cup version, the four cup Ziploc is just the right size and you don't have to use a separate mixing bowl. (use the push mixer). I read up on non-dairy milks and cook and serve puddings.  Mixed results.  It is reported that rice milk won't set up at all.  It is said that Almond milk works but has a softer set.




I made a batches of vanilla and chocolate pudding with Almond Milk.  The set is definitely softer with the vanilla but pretty much normal with the chocolate.  It will stand up by itself in the container when spooned out.  Hint of almond in both.  Still very tasty.  I will probably continue to use dairy milk, but the Almond Milk is OK for backup and variety.


BTW, if you like my blog, please spread the word!

Rogersramblings41.blogspot.com


You can email me: Roger@rogernickey.com

2 comments:

  1. This is good to know. I've never had anything but cow's milk, and am always watching the date on the package. I also love the old fashioned cooked chocolate pudding. I think I'm going to get some Almond Milk to keep in the cupboard just in case. I have cereal almost every day, and hate it when I run out of milk. So, Almond Milk is now on my shopping list. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete