Friday, February 22, 2013

Dont't Boil it..........Steam it.

More on RV adapted cooking styles for the boondocker or dry camper.  Use less water and no scrubbing.


In my last post, you might have noticed my collapsible steamer basket stored in the small saucepan in the nested cookware.  As you can see, it opens up in to a "flower" steaming basket.  It it will unfold to fit a variety of pans.

My philosophy is why take fresh vegetables, potatoes, "organic" vegetables and put them through the "washing machine" of boiling them in water and then discarding the used water with much of the flavor and nutrients.  If you steam instead of boil, you can also control the cooking time better.  Your broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus can be cooked to "crisp done" instead of "soggy".  A teaspoon or so of olive oil in the water also improves the vegetables. You can also heat leftovers this way without using the microwave or producing a pan to scrub out.  (no generator running)

This is my "pasta cooker".  It works great for pasta as it has the removable basket to drain.  By the way boondockers, save your pasta water, it can be used to flush the toilet (after it has cooled!)



It also doubles as a large vegetable steamer.  Great for corn on the cob, artichokes, larger portions of broccoli, potatoes and the like.  I got this one at Price Club, (yes Price Club) about 20 years ago for under $10.  More $ now I am sure but you don't need an elaborate or expensive one as you are just basically boiling water in it.  Doesn't work well as a dutch oven or stew pot as the bottom is thin stainless steel  and it will burn the food.  I have used it in this manner if you put a rack in the bottom to keep the food up off the the hot surface and very low heat.

A note on potatoes for mashing.  In my family I am known as the "King of the Mashed Potatoes". (a title that was passed down from my Grandfather)  I actually have two of these steamers and together they will steam about 10 lbs of potatoes.  About right for one of our family gatherings with enough left over for fried mashed potato patties the next morning.  I throw a small handful of garlic cloves, (get the already peeled kind).  They steam up nice with the potatoes and just mash them in.  A secret I learned long ago from a restaurant chef:  An 8 oz brick of softened cream cheese mashed in each batch really brings out the flavor.  Add just enough milk (not water) and whip them to a consistency that will allow you to make the "mashed potato volcano" for holding large amounts of gravy on your plate. 

Just a footnote:  I never use water for gravy, only milk.  This is even with the gravy packets that call for water.  Another great add in for gravy is a can of cream of mushroom soup.



1 comment:

  1. Good looking blog. I'll be interested in your comments & recipes for "on the road" cooking. We full-timed for about 3 years and I didn't have nearly so many pans!

    Hope you'll throw in some local color from the places you are visiting from time to time. Keep having fun!

    Best wishes, Betty Jones

    ReplyDelete