Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How I Shop and Where/How I Store It.

Where/How I Shop For Supplies. Then, Where/How I Store Them.


I shop for many of my commonly used items at Costco.  Examples would be:

Mushroom Soup
Chicken Broth
Canned Chicken Breast
Skinless/Bonless Chicken Breast
Paper Towels
Toilet Paper
Paper Bowls
Paper Plates
Aluminum Baking Pans, (1/2 steamer pans)
Olive Oil
Sugar
Coffee
Coffee Mate
Canned Kidney Beans
Diced Tomato
Tomato Sauce
Ground Turkey
Egg Substitute
Canned Fruit
Progresso Soup

Buying these items in quanity does several things, It saves money, and saves gas.  Ok, Rog, I understand the money but how does it save gas, you ask?  I am not running to the store frequently to get a few items that I use all of the time.  Plus, I can stay camped and not have to travel in to civilization a lot.  Less stress.  Also, If someone "drops in", I can make a larger quantity with what I have on hand.  (five can chili takes five cans)

I usually shop WalMart for other items that I use a lot and don't use enough to get the twelve packs or 25 pound bags, like rice and flour, that they have at Costco.   I try to think ahead a month or two for non-perishable items and stock ahead for about four months.

Where and how do you store all of this stuff in a 27' class C motorhome, you ask.  I have three main pantrys and two smaller storage areas. 



This is my Andy Baird Pantry.  Who is Andy Baird?  Click on the link.  The 27' Lazy Daze Mid Bath has this nice wall that accomodates this add-in pantry.  Extends floor to ceiling.  It is very simple to build and mount.  The plans are here on Andy Baird's "Eureka".  Keeps all of your most used items in plain view and easy to get at.


Andy Baird Pantry


This model LazyDaze, and some of their other floor plans, have this "bin" under the dinette seat.  I like the fact that the top lifts off.  Much easier access.  My Mid Bath model also has an outside door that accesses the end of this bin from the outside.  Most of my canned goods are stored here as it keeps the weight down low and on the strong floor.  Note that I use a marker to write on the tops of the cans so they can be identified from above without digging through the contents.  When I used to be a sailor, we did this because the moisture would loosen all the labels and then you were left with a bunch of cans that you did  not know the contents of.  A unique cooking style all its own which resulted in many "surprise" meals.  I have since downloaded an app for my I phone that is a pantry inventory program.  You scan the cans and enter what you are taking or leaving along with the expiration date.  When you go to the store, you know what is stored in this bin so you don't duplicate.  It is called "Prep & Pantry".  The free version only lets you record ten different items.  The unlimited plan is $3.99 I think.  I have found it quite useful.


Bin Under Dinette Seat


This cabinet is over my dinette and holds a lot of the lighter stuff.  Measures 6' long and 1' high.  The plastic "shoe boxes" are just the right size to fit across the depth of 14".  One shoe box is my "spice box".  I also use these wire adjustable space dividers.  Note that I have a lot of dry items such as flour, sugar, corn meal, etc stored in one quart, or two quart canning jars.  They also fit the cabinet.  You can take sugar out of that ten pound bag, and store enough to use in a jar, but not take up this space with the large bag.  The rest goes in the dinette bin in a vacuum sealed bag.  More on vacuum sealing later. 








Cabinet Over Dinette


You can also store some items under the dinette table.


Stuff It Under The Dinette


Future posts will be on how I store those bulky Costo size packages of paper towels, TP, paper plates, etc.

Another future post will be on vacuum sealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment