Saturday, March 16, 2013

Morro Bay and Corn Casserole Report + Sumo Citrus.

Morro Bay and Corn Casserole


Camped out here at Morro Bay State Park with Larry Wade's group.  Great crowd, maybe 100 people?  Friday night Pot Luck brought out a LOT of food.  I brought Melinda's Corn Casserole featured earlier:



I mentioned that I was going to try this in a 9 X 12 instead of an 8 X 8.  Came out just a little bit thinner but more pieces this way.  I baked this for 1 hour and 10 minutes at 375F to get it to brown.  I cut in to 12 squares and it didn't last long.

Dishes to wash:  one spatula and one bowl scraper. 


Sumo Citrus

I really like Tangerines.  Seedless, easy to peel and just larger than bite-sized.  Problem is, as near as I can tell, they are only available in bags as "Cuties".  More than I can eat before they go bad.  I have searched around and cannot find them singly.  While on produce quest, I discovered these:



Odd looking and brand new on the market.  Called Sumo Citrus or Sumo Oranges.  As you can determine from the attached article they are a cross between an orange and a Tangerine.  Results are amazing!  Larger than a Tangerine, very easy to peel, seedless and very sweet.  You can buy them one at a time. Not available everwhere, I found these at Raley's/Bel Air in Sacramento.  Could not find them at Wal Mart.  There is another variety of orange that has the Sumo topknot but is smooth skinned and they are just ordinary oranges.  Look for the rough skin.

2 comments:

  1. On the corn casserole, try to find 9"x9" pan, its the best size for it to not overflow. Enjoy Morro Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor here in Mesa, AZ gave me a bunch of those Sumo Oranges. They were really delicious and very juicy.

    ReplyDelete