Saturday, March 9, 2013

Use Your Oven, (if you have one) AND a Couple More Recipes.

Comments on Posting Comments or Subscribing


This is still a learning process.  So far, I have not yet figured out how to create a "subscribe by email" button on this blog.  I have succeeded (by accident) in creating a blank bar under the heading, with a submit button" at the end, that sometimes leads to a "subscribe" page.  I have not, as yet, figured how to put any description in the blank line before the "submit" button".  For now, it appears that you can subscribe to this blog by clicking on the "submit" button anyway.  I  also discovered that if you click on the "no comments" or "comments" button on the bottom of each blog post,  a comment window and an invitation to subscribe by email comes up. 

If anyone wants to contact me, maybe with a solution, suggestions, recipes, questions and/or ideas,  my email: 

roger@rogernickey.com

My plan is to create one or two posts a week with some of my utensils, methods, ideas, and/or recipes so please check in once in a while if you cannot subscribe.  Thanks.

 

Ovens (or lack of)

It appears that many RV manufacturers (not Lazy Daze) are turning out rigs with just a cooktop and no oven.  In some cases, you get a cooktop with a microwave/convection oven as a substitute.  In other cases no oven and just a microwave.  This means if you want to bake something, heat up a leftover or make toast , you have to either be plugged in to shore power or run that pesky generator. 

Fortunately for me, my '02 Lazy Daze Mid Bath has a three burner stove with an oven.  Granted, the oven is only 6" high, but with a little creativity, you can handle most of your baking needs.  You couldn't roast a whole turkey, but there is a solution to that one too, more on that later.  BTW, a Papa Murphy's large, take and bake pizza, (14") fits the oven perfectly.

Most leftovers and small items can be heated/reheated by using a foil pan or fashioning a foil "pouch" and heating at 350F for 20 minutes or so.  You can toast bread, bagels, etc using the broiler.  What's that you say? your stove doesn't have a broiler?  I didn't think so either (even though there is a "broil" setting on the oven knob).  Others showed me that the space beneath the burner at the bottom of the oven can be used for broiling, or toasting.  I wouldn't put anything that splatters down there, I have the Traeger for that.  I got a cookie sheet from Wal-Mart, for about a dollar, that is just the right size and once you have done it a time or two, you can make toast, etc. without a lot of watching.  Put foil on it if you don't want to wash it. It will incinerate stuff, however, if you are not careful.  (at least, you will find out if your smoke alarm is working)

Floor Tile as Oven Liner

The oven is small, so you can have a "hot spot" and/or uneven heat.  I use a 12" unglazed ceramic floor tile on the bottom of the oven as a "flame tamer" to help even the heat out.  These are usually a dollar or so at Home Depot.  If they get stained or occasionally break, just get a new one.  I have seen others use a pizza stone for this but they are a little pricey.



12" unglazed ceramic floor tile




Floor tile in bottom of oven 

Note cookie sheet as broiler pan.  I also keep an oven thermometer inside to verify temperature.

The Cooktop

The cook top pan on the Wedgewood Vision stove that came with my Lazy Daze is very easy to get off for cleaning.  Basically push it back against the spring clips and lift up the front.  I learned from the manual.  This is an easier way to keep the cooktop clean.  I found these oven liners at WalMart.  They are exactly the right width and you just have to trim off a few inches to make it fit to length. 


Oven liner used as disposable burner pan.


I made a mess of this one cutting the holes for the burners.  I think it is best to remove the cooktop and use it as a pattern for the placement and sizing of the burner holes.  My next one will be a lot neater.


The Turkey (some assembly required)

Oh yeah.  The turkey.  If I needed to roast/smoke a whole turkey or a spiral cut ham, I would use my Traeger Barbecue.  There is no way you are going to get even a small, whole turkey or the like, in your RV oven.  You can buy turkey parts.  I have not tried this, but if you buy a whole breast, thigh and maybe even drumsticks, they should roast just fine in a foil pan.  Since turkey breast is done at an internal temperature of 160F and thighs are done at an internal temperature of 180F, you can monitor them separately and get each done just right.  I have successfully prepared a small, (Safeway, Costco) spiral cut ham in my oven.  In the case of the Costco ham, it was a little tall so I removed the oven rack and gained an additional 1/2" or so and it worked fine.  Just shop for a ham with a ruler.  Still a job for the Traeger. 


Recipes.  These are great for potlucks.


Here a couple of recipes I am going to try out at the Morro Bay, Lazy Daze Campout:

Melinda's Corn Casserole

§  1 #2 can Regular corn, drained
§  1 #2 can creamed corn
§  8 ounces sour cream
§  1 stick butter, melted
§  1 box Jiffy Corn Bread mix
§  1 can diced green chili (roasted are best)
§  Red pepper flakes (optional)
§  Black olives, sliced (optional)

1.Mix all together in deep baking dish, stir well. May add black olives (drained) or red pepper pieces, or green chili's (drained) or all, sprinkle black olives on top.
2.Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an 1 hour or until edges are brown, the center will be soft. Do not double recipe, but rather make two separate batches. Enjoy 

Roger's Notes:

I tried this in an 8X8 foil pan and I found the pan a little small.  I am going to try this in a 9X12 foil pan.  I baked it the full hour to get it a little brown on top and it wasn't soft in the middle.  I will report back on the change it pan size.  I mixed it up in the baking pan so nothing to wash!

Note on so-called lo-cal or diet spreads: They are at least 50% or more water and unsuited for cooking.  Check the label.


Roger's Five (or Six) Can Turkey Chili With Beans


1 lb 93/7 ground turkey
1 medium onion
1 diced bell pepper to taste
1/4 cup chili or taco seasoning mix or two envelopes of the same.  More if you like it spicy.
2, 15oz cans kidney beans, drained
1, 15oz can tomato sauce
1, 15oz can diced tomato with juice
1, 15oz can whole corn and/or sliced black olives, drained.

Brown turkey in a sauce pan large enough to hold all of the ingredients.  Drain off the meat juice early and add the onion and continue to brown.  Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the drained meat and continue to brown.  (you don't want to pour off the onion and seasoning with the meat juice)  When it looks about right, add all of the other ingredients.  Simmer for 1-2 hours to blend flavors. 

This only uses one pan and If you have the kind that has a snap-on plastic lid, your can store and reheat this without and additional pans to wash.

Maybe about 8, one cup servings.  About 250 calories each.  5 grams of fat each.








4 comments:

  1. If you are searching for oven products then you can visit our website for that, We are leading brand for ovens only.


    Drying Ovens
    Walk In Oven
    Industrial Electric Ovens
    Composite Curing Oven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to try that corn casserole. Thanks for your postings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such a nice content. Apppreciate it :)
    Cheers
    If anyone interested similar one's have a look here rvguiders.com thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more! recipes

    ReplyDelete