Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Use and Storage of Vegtetable OIls + Applesauce-Carrot and Sometimes Ginger Raisin Cake

 Vegetable Oil, Use and Storage


A number of years ago, I had a friend over for dinner that owned two Italian restaurants.  (How's that for confidence in my cooking skills?) As usual, the subject of discussion was food and food prep.  He asked me where I stored my cooking oils.  I showed him the pantry.  He picked up a bottle of olive oil, opened it and said, "this is rancid".  Well I was embarrassed.  I asked how do you keep it from spoiling.  He stated that he refrigerates all of his oils.  He explained that regular vegetable oils like Mazola or Wesson, usually have enough preservatives and are processed to the point that they will survive without refrigeration for some time.  However, Organic and premium olive oils will spoil if you do not refrigerate them.  As usual, the culprit is Oxygen.  I buy Costco, Kirkland Organic, Extra Virgin, Olive Oil.  Ingredients are listed as "Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil" only.  No additives.  It comes as a two pack of 1.5 liter bottles.  After I open one, I keep it  stored in the fridge. I put about 1 cup in a separate container to use from, in the fridge as well.  The oil will congeal when it gets all the way cooled down so I agitate the bottle a few times to keep it from stratifying as it cools.  Once the oil is congealed in the small container, it is easy to spoon and measure.  Olive oil is great stuff for salad dressing, frying eggs, spraying on steamed vegetables, etc., but it does not hold up well to higher heat.   I use regular corn or canola oil for baking.  Neither one of these will hold up to high temp stir-frying or popcorn either. For that, I use peanut oil as it will stand up to the higher heat. I store all in the refrigerator. 



Refrigerated and Congealed Olive Oil




Here is a great way to spray olive oil on steamed vegetables or use a small amount for low temp frying without using the commercial stuff like Pam:  By the way, if you refrigerate this, it won't spray the congealed oil so I just keep a small amount in it in a cool place.






Misto Olive Oil Sprayer With Pump

These are available at Bed Bath & Beyond or Amazon

 

 

Applesauce-Carrot and Sometimes Ginger/Raisin Cake


2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

4 eggs or 1 cup egg substitute

3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 Tbs ground cinnamon

2  tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 Tbs vanilla extract

3 cups grated raw carrots. (these can usually be found already grated at the market)

If you want a little different flavor, add 1 tsp ground ginger and maybe a cup of raisins.


Preheat oven to 350F

I put all of the ingredients except the carrots in a disposable baking pan and mix well.  When the mixture is thoroughly blended, fold in the carrots until evenly distributed.

Bake 45 minutes and check with a toothpick.  It is pretty hard to over bake this as it is very moist but be sure it is done in the center or you will have pudding.

Frost with your choice as you like or leave plain without the added calories.

You can get 16 squares out of this at about 209 cal each if you use the egg substitute instead of eggs.

Some added variations:  1 cup raisins, 1 tsp ground ginger, Substitute molasses for the honey.  I really like the different flavor of the Ginger.

Should be just a measuring cup and mixing spoon to wash




Finished Applesauce-Carrot Cake With Ginger And Raisins


1 comment:

  1. Roger, for what it's worth, I've been using "light tasting" olive oil for all my baking for many years now. In everything from cookies to gingerbread (yes!) to cornbread to pie crusts, it has worked perfectly. I also use Egg Beaters in any recipe that calls for eggs. My "semi-guilt-free" gingerbread using these ingredients has gotten praise from all who've tried it. You might want to give light olive oil a try. It works so well for me that I no longer bother stocking any other oils or shortenings.

    ReplyDelete