Sunday, November 24, 2013

Roger's Idea For Roasted Turkey Dinner In An RV Size Oven

I wanted to get this posted before Thanksgiving so it is pretty much a draft.

I have not prepared this yet but it has been on my mind for some time.  It would be impossible to roast a turkey of any size in most class "C" RVs (like LazyDaze) as the oven is only 5 1/2" high.  Most markets have turkey breast and thigh individually packaged.  Make a bed of stuffing mix prepared as you like it.  I like lots of stuffing so I use the 12 oz box size.  I also like moister stuffing so I usually double the liquid and add a can of either, cream of mushroom, or cream of celery.  Put the turkey parts on the bed of stuffing in the usual disposable baking pan and roast.  Turkey breast is done at 165F internal temp.  The thigh needs to be 175F internal temp.  Take the breast out when it reaches 165F and keep roasting the thigh until it reaches the 175F. 

I have made "turkey gravy" using one can chicken broth, one can cream of mushroom or chicken or celery soup and one envelope of turkey gravy mix.  Double it for more.  I might also try adding some milk if you like lighter gravy. 

Mashed potatoes of your choice, but if you haven't tried steaming the potatoes instead of boiling, (dishwasher)  This method uses less water and potatoes don't get the flavor washed out of them by the water.  I like to add an 8oz brick of cream cheese to a regular3-5 lb batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment