Sunday, November 3, 2013

Roger's Easy Chicken And Rice (with pasta and carrots)




I really like chicken and rice.  It is easy to fix, tastes great and makes good leftovers.  You will probably recognize some old standards here.  First, I like roasted carrots so I use about ¼ cup olive oil in an aluminum pan.  I sprinkle enough baby-cut carrots.  (notice the hyphen, they are not “baby carrots”)  Place in the oven at 400F for 30-40 minutes.  Meanwhile, one cup CalRose Rice and one cup elbow macaroni into the rice cooker with one can, (14.5 oz) chicken broth along with one cup water.  I experimented some to get the proportions correct.  Normal rice is 1 ½ cup rice and one can chicken broth.  I like to add the pasta for variety but it needs more liquid to cook properly.  In case you don’t know it, rice cookers depend on the amount of liquid to cook the rice correctly.  If your rice, and in this case pasta, is too mushy or not done, you vary the amount of liquid to get it right.  More liquid and it cooks longer, less liquid and it cooks less.  The rice cooker senses the temp rise when all of the liquid is absorbed and this signals it to shut off.  When the rice/mac mixture is done, I spread it over the carrots in the baking pan.  Using skinless, boneless chicken breast “tenderloins” cut them in chunks and place them on top of the rice.  Spoon one can cream of chicken soup over the top.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.  I often wonder if anyone ever uses cream of mushroom, chicken or celery soup for soup.  I have only used it for cooking.  Great instant sauce or base for gravy. 
\
 
 

 
 
As you can see, I took a serving out before taking this picture. 
 
PS.  I found the rice/pasta mix a little dry after baking.  Maybe another cup of broth added to the cooked mixture before baking. 

1 comment:

  1. there's a recipe base for all cream of ____ soup found on the Escapees park in Sutherlin, OR web site. It would save you from hauling all those cans. I haven't tried it, but I don't use these soups often enough to make a batch. If you use it, tell us about it. Give Boots a chin scratch for me.

    ReplyDelete